Recorded Webinar: Can They Really Say That?
Can They Really Say That? Legal Considerations Related to Campus Free Speech and Expression
April 15 @ 1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
To request a link to the webinar, please fill out the form below. (Link will be sent to your email address – please check spam.)
Contact: Maritza Guevara, email@example.com
The legal framework surrounding campus free speech and expression is constantly evolving. This presentation will provide a comprehensive overview of the First Amendment as applied to higher education institutions and will address institutions’ authority to regulate speech occurring both on and off campus. We will incorporate guidance related to student demonstrations, campus events involving outside speakers and groups, student and employee use of social media, and academic freedom considerations. Finally, we will offer practical tips on developing and implementing campus free speech policies and procedures with the goal of promoting free expression while maintaining campus safety and order.
Who Should Attend/Target Audience:
- Higher education administrators, including…
- Human resources professionals
- Faculty department chairs
- Managers and supervisors
- Student services administrators
- Student conduct officers and investigators
- Student club/organization directors
- Campus event coordinators
- Campus police and security personnel
What You Will Learn:
- The various factors that courts consider when analyzing whether certain speech is constitutionally protected.
- The legal parameters governing higher education institutions’ ability to regulate on-campus and off-campus speech by students, employees and outside individuals/groups.
- Tips on how to effectively prepare for and supervise on-campus demonstrations and events and address disruptive conduct.