Philip H. Gerner III
Partner, Chicago Office
Phil Gerner counsels and represents school districts and community colleges in collective bargaining negotiations, union representation petitions and IELRB proceedings, teacher evaluations, remediations and dismissals, employee discipline and discharge issues, labor contract administration and grievance arbitration, and other labor and employment issues. Phil has represented school districts and community colleges in numerous labor arbitrations, unfair labor practice hearings, tenured teacher dismissals, and IDHR and EEOC proceedings. Phil has successfully handled a number of appellate court appeals on issues of significance for educational employers, including short-term employee bargaining unit exclusion standards, teacher evaluation plan bargaining obligations, and RIF/seniority rights of tenured teachers.
Phil is a frequent presenter for IASB, IASA, IASBO, ICCTA and other educational employer associations on a full range of labor and employment issues, including collective bargaining negotiations, teacher evaluation and remediation, school administrator employment contracts, employee discipline and discharge, and public employee speech and concerted activity issues.
Phil joined Robbins Schwartz in 1983, and has been a partner in the Firm’s labor and employment practice group since 1989.
- Illinois Leading Lawyer, Employment and School Law, 2004-2010
- "Hot Topics in Collective Bargaining," IASB.COM, Illinois Association of School Boards (2014)
- Contributing author, “Labor Relations: Contract Administration Including ULPs,” Illinois School Law, IICLE (2005, 2010 and 2012)
- "Collective Bargaining Implications of the Performance Evaluation Reform Act of 2010 (SB 315) and the Education Reform Act (SB 7)," UPDATE Magazine, IASBO (2011)
- Collective Bargaining: Strategies to Deal with Teacher Evaluation, RIF/Recall, Salary, and Contract Reopeners, Illinois Council of School Attorneys, 29th Annual Seminar on School Law (November 2015)
- Collective Bargaining Negotiations: Full-time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty Contract Language Issues, Illinois Council of Community College Presidents’ 2015 Retreat (October 2015)
- Administrators’ In-Service/Adjunct Faculty Union Issues, Kishwaukee College (August 2015)
- Administrators’ In-Service/Faculty Evaluation & Discipline, Kishwaukee College (July 2015)
- IASB/PERA Training, Illinois Association of School Boards (June 2015)
- Board Member Training 2015, Illinois Association of School Boards (May 2015)
- 2015 Joint Conference Panel, Illinois Association of School Boards (April 2015)
- School Board Leadership, Illinois Association of School Boards (February 2015)
- J.D., Washington University School of Law, 1980
- B.A., cum laude, St. Lawrence University, 1977
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- Supreme Court of Illinois