Eugene J. Hanses, Jr.
Partner, Collinsville Office
Gene Hanses provides commercial, contractual, and financial representation to school districts, community colleges, other public entities, and private sector clients. His practice focuses on transactional services, including procurement and competitive bidding, professional services contracting, real property management and transfers, construction contracting and disputes, fiscal initiatives, governmental and regulatory compliance, tax assessment and exemption proceedings, public-private partnering, and related litigation and appellate support. In addition, Gene advises clients with respect to board governance and management issues, including policy development and implementation. He also assists his educational clients with student-related matters. Gene practices from the Firm’s Collinsville office, and represents clients with legal concerns arising in both Illinois and Missouri.
Since clerking for a municipal corporation while in law school, Gene has over 30 years of experience serving public entities. Prior to joining the firm, Gene worked for more than ten years with the Law Department for the City of St. Louis. As an Associate City Counselor, he provided representation and consultation to a municipal corporation, its elected officials, and its cabinet-level officers. Gene served as lead counsel for a variety of transactional and other commercial projects, with a substantial emphasis on matters pertaining to real property acquisition, disposition, development, valuation, tax assessment, and related legislative and civil actions. In this capacity, he provided representation to the executive, legislative, and quasi-judicial/administrative branches of a municipal corporation. He also previously maintained a private legal practice and worked as a licensed Missouri real estate sales agent.
Gene is certified by the Illinois State Board of Education to provide school board member training.
- Fostering the Board Member - Administrator Relationship: Complementary Roles and Best Practices for Board Governance and School Contracting, Administrators' Round Table of Western Illinois at Western Illinois University (March 2020)
- Balancing Student and Employee Interests: Preserving Rights while Fulfilling Obligations, Windsor CUSD 1 (March 2020)
- Project Planning: Permits, Zoning and Site Selection, ROE 53 (October 2019)
- School Construction: Top 10 Problems and Solutions, Illinois ASBO/IASPA Regional Conferences (October 2019)
- Purchasing and Bidding: From the Basics to the Advanced, Illinois ASBO/IASPA Regional Conferences (October 2019)
- 2019 Legal Updates, Wabash & Ohio Valley Special Education District, Superintendents' Special Education Academy (July 2019)
- Investigation and Discipline of Student Misconduct, In-Service (February 2019)
- TIF and PTAB Cases from the Basics to the Advanced, Illinois ASBO & IASPA (October 2018)
- Legislative Update, MVASBO Regional Meeting (September 2018)
- 2018 Legal Updates, Wabash & Ohio Valley Special Education District, Superintendents' Special Education Academy (July 2018)
- Title IX Compliance, Regional Office of Education 41 (February 2018)
- Public Bidding: From the Basics to the Advanced, Illinois ASBO & IASPA (October 2017)
- Procurement Ethics, Illinois Community College Chief Financial Officers (October 2017)
- Community College Bidding, Critical Contract Language, and Statutory Requirements, Kaskaskia College, Procurement and Contracting Workshop (October 2017)
- 2017 Legal Update: Digest of Bills Passed; Educators’ and Students’ First Amendment Rights; Internet Use and Social Media, Wabash & Ohio Valley Special Education District, Superintendent’s Special Education Academy (July 2017)
- Ethical Requirements for Park Commissioners, Illinois Association of Park Districts Boot Camp (May 2017)
- J.D., Washington University
- B.A., Northwestern University
Admitted to Practice
- Supreme Court of Illinois
- Supreme Court of Missouri
- Illinois Association of School Business Officials
- Illinois Council of School Attorneys
- National Council of School Attorneys